The Irene Schwebel Chapel was a gift from M. Mac Schwebel in memory of his wife. It is used daily for the morning and evening Minyan and for education programs.
The huppah hanging in the Chapel was originally a gift to the Synagogue from the Mr. and Mrs. Club in 1974. It was designed by Marge Sablow and dedicated in memory of her father. This beautiful piece of needlepoint was hand worked by a dozen congregants of Temple Israel Center. It contains a quotation from the seventh of the Seven Blessings, or Sheva Berakhot that originally formed a three-part valance around the floral needlepoint square, under which the bride and groom were married. The calligraphy of the quotation was by Sylvia Wolff. The huppah fell into disuse in recent years, and the tradition of "pious recycling" of precious fabric was followed by rehanging it in the Irene Schwebel Chapel.
The stained glass rondelles were purchased for the synagogue in 1978 from a small shul in Brooklyn, dating from the late 19th – early 20th century, that was being demolished. To the right of the ark, the rondelles mark the three pilgrimage festivals, or Shalosh Regalim, of Pesah, Shavuot and Sukkot. To the left of the ark, the rondelles illustrate Shabbat, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. The rondelles originally hung in the main sanctuary.
The marble ark was created for this chapel.
The ner tamid, (eternal light) originally came from 19th century Germany. In Germany, this type of lamp was called a judenstern, or Jewish star, because it cast a star-shaped shadow. A Jewish family would lower the lamp on Friday night and use it as the Sabbath light. Originally an oil lamp, it was later electrified and first brought to Temple Israel in the 1950's.