Introducing Temple Israel Center’s new Hesed Circle:
An initiative to enhance, engage and build upon our caring community.
For the past year, volunteer members of TIC and our Rabbis have worked together with the Center of Pastoral Education at the Jewish Theological Seminary to reinvigorate hesed in our community. Our goal is to create a framework that will allow all our congregants to give and receive care.
As we roll out our Hesed Circle, we will be focusing on three areas of need in our community: Bikkur Holim (visiting the sick), Senior Connect (honoring and supporting the most senior members of our community), and Shiva Support (comforting bereaved members). Each group will focus on a few key goals for the coming year and we invite you to join any or all of these initiatives. We know there are many caring and compassionate members of our community doing acts of kindness everyday. We hope to expand that circle and facilitate opportunities to observe these crucial mitzvot. By joining any or all of these groups, you may choose a one-time commitment based on your availability or you may volunteer for a regular on-going commitment. We hope that you will join us.
- calling those who are sick or recovering from surgery (following a clergy visit)
- friendly home visits for those who are interested and dropping off a care package
- helping to set up volunteer schedules to coordinate meals or rides, if requested
- intergenerational outreach, pre-holiday and Shabbat visits
- setting up rides to synagogue to attend events and services
- coordinating prayer book/chair pickup as needed
- making a follow-up phone call to mourners at the end of Shloshim
- compiling an email list of volunteers willing to respond to short notice calls to fill minyanim
Sign up to register to volunteer at https://www.templeisraelcenter.org/HesedCircleVolunteer
Co-chairs, TIC Hesed Circle
Julie Breakstone, Judith Grand and Diane Katz
Co-chairs, Bikkur Holim
Alissa Butterfass and Rose Blank
Co-chairs, Senior Connect
Bree Schonbrun, Diana Sklar and Danya Berman
Co-chairs, Shiva Support
Jeremy Zucker and Judith Grand