Welcome to a nurturing community of growth and learning for almost 70 years.
We are a Conservative, fully egalitarian congregation that is dedicated to providing a warm and nurturing environment where children can achieve their full potential—socially, emotionally, creatively, cognitively, physically, and Jewishly. Please feel free to contact our director, Patty Goldstick, at 914.948.2800 x126 or email her for additional information.
Temple Israel Center Nursery School is a progressive and nurturing Jewish school committed to excellence in early childhood education. We believe in active, hands-on learning and our bright classrooms include a wide variety of authentic, developmentally appropriate materials. Our educators, many of whom have been devoted to Temple Israel Center for decades, understand the needs and abilities of children at different ages and stages. They offer expressive materials and activities that encourage personal choice and discovery rather than a rote response to teacher directions. Our professionals have been strongly inspired by the philosophy and characteristics of the schools of Reggio Emilia, Italy and continue to study the Reggio Emilia approach which includes:
- A deep respect for the potential of all young children.
- Communication and collaboration among children, teachers and families.
- The environment as the third teacher, meaning rich environments that are engaging, welcoming, organized and supportive of the work of children.
- Documentation to give words to what the children may not be able to express, to deepen teachers understanding of how the children learn and to make the learning visible (with photos, reflections and journey binders).
- Children and educators constructing knowledge together through exploration and problem solving.
- Emergent curriculum and small group work based on the negotiation between children's and teachers' interests.
- The use of many expressive "languages" to represent ideas, interests, questions, and learning, such as paint, clay, drama, music, play and more.
Daily sensory experiences including art, music, and movement. This creative play develops social skills, language abilities, physical development, independence, and the ability to focus and problem-solve. Teachers plan for the group and for each individual child, and each class becomes a caring community.
Our children's Jewish identity is central to our program. Each week, we celebrate Shabbat with blessings over the candles, wine, and hallah. Jewish holidays are celebrated and explored with enthusiasm. Children participate in monthly mitzvah projects, learning to help others and make the world a better place.
- Daily playground/gym time
- Extended day options
- Classroom cooking projects
- Shabbat and holiday celebrations
- Weekly Mitzvah Makers program with clergy
- Hebrew Language program (Halav u'Dvash)
- Music, Nature, Israeli Dancing and Creative Movement Specialists
- Special Needs Services Available
- Intergenerational literary program (Dor L'Dor)
We are a nut free and allergy sensitive environment, and are licensed by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services .
Check out our Facebook Page.